Did you know that excess fertilizers and pesticides applied to lawns and gardens wash off and pollute streams?
In addition, yard clippings and leaves can wash into storm drains and contribute nutrients and organic matter to streams. Keep the Chesapeake Bay and your lawn healthy with these summer lawn care tips from the Town's Engineering Department.
Stormwater-Friendly Summer Lawn Care Tips:
- Don’t overwater your lawn. Consider using a soaker hose instead of a sprinkler.
- Use pesticides and fertilizers sparingly. When use is necessary, use these chemicals in the recommended amounts.
- Use organic mulch or safer pest control methods whenever possible.
- Compost or mulch yard waste. Don’t leave it in the street or sweep it into storm drains or streams.
- Cover piles of dirt or mulch being used in landscaping projects.